Torry Point Battery was built in 1860 as a training ground and barracks for soldiers stationed there until it was decommissioned in the 1950s
The guns at Torry Battery were never fired in anger, during WWII a ship was spotted approaching on the horizon and a warning shot was fired but it was a friendly ship. The larger guns had a firing range as far as Newburgh!
Between 1946 and 1953, 20 families were living in the abandoned barracks at Torry Battery. Our community of supporters includes Jim Craig (JCE Energy) and Peter (ex-trawlerman) who both lived at Torry Battery when they were young boys and have a deep affection for the monument.
The abandoned battery was seen as an eyesore and a dangerous place and so a decision was taken to partly demolish and clear the interior barracks of the battery.
After it's partial demolition the Battery continued to be a gathering place for locals. Many people still recall days out at the Battery fishing for buckies and picnicking with family, many playing on the ramparts and using the site as a massive playground. The site continues to be visited to this day by nature lovers and those wanting to remember and connect to lost loved ones.
Working with Historic Environment Scotland and Aberdeen City Council, scheduled monument consent and planning permission was granted in 2019 for the Greyhope Bay Centre